Saturday, August 29, 2009

I didn't reach my goal, but that's okay

I had hoped to finish the first draft of my novel this summer. That didn't happen. It was a lofty goal and I knew that going in. Instead of chaining myself to my computer, I found a balance between writing and enjoying a wonderful summer. I have no regrets.
I've written a hundred pages since early June, so I certainly got a lot of good writing time in. And I like the pages I've written! The voice is clear and the characters are fleshing out well. The plot line continues to reveal itself and the process of watching it unfold and documenting its progress is fascinating.
Folks who are interested sometimes ask when it will be done, how long it will be, etc. The honest answer to both questions is "I don't know." I can see the conclusion of the story on the horizon, and I figure it will be about 250 typewritten pages when it's done. But if I've learned anything on this journey, it's that I'm not good at predicting these things. It'll be done when it's done. It'll be as long as it needs to be to finish the story line to a satisfying conclusion.
In the meantime, I'll keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment