Saturday, May 23, 2020

I'm back! Let's get creative!


Here’s a fun activity to get your creative juices flowing.

Fold a sheet of paper into three columns. Label the first column ‘Character,’ the second column ‘Setting,’ and the last ‘Thing.’ 

Then, as I did in the example, brainstorm! 

Make a list of characters, where they’d typically be found, and an object that might be near them. In my example, I placed an executive in her office with a paperclip nearby, and a fairy in the woodlands with a magic wand. Sounds ordinary, right?


Now for the fun. Cut the three columns apart. Slide the columns up or down to make new character/setting/thing arrangements, as I did in my examples. 





Some arrangements will make sense and others will be absurd. That’s okay! It’s an exercise in creativity. Choose one combination of character/setting/thing and write a scene that contains all three.





I’ll leave you now so I can go think—what would place an executive at a garbage dumpster with a pitchfork? Sounds like a murder mystery to me! 

Why would a fairy carry a sword in ancient Egypt? Hmm…

Have fun! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I will try this and maybe even try it on my grandson. I still think about the writing group at the Dietrich Theater in Tunkhannock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think about that writers group too. I had such a sense of accountability to and support from them!

      Delete