Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fantasy and historical fiction

Fantasy and historical fiction seem to be my two favorite genres to read, going all the way back to grammar school: A Wrinkle in Time, the Wizard of Oz books, and the Little House on the Prairie books (thanks for reminding me of those, Lisa) Then there was The Hobbit, The Diary of a Young Girl, and more others than I can count.
This past week, I read two YA historical fiction novels, Nefertiti by Michelle Moran (no relation) and Someone Named Eva by Joan Wolf. Both started with historically accurate time and place, painting word pictures of the culture and the daily life of its people. Actual events which took place during the timeline of the story were woven in and added to the challenges faced by the characters. I came away from both books with more knowledge of actual events and the curiosity to know even more.
That's what I'm trying to do with my book. I want a reader to feel more informed about pre-war Germany, and perhaps to see how millions of educated people fell for twisted truths. If we don't learn the lessons that history has to teach us, we risk making the same mistakes .

No comments:

Post a Comment