Monday, June 16, 2014

A book club, a recipe, and Skype (or Facetime)


Now that my schedule is easing up, I've had time to think about the ways I connect with book clubs. Each time I've met with book club members, it was over food. So that begs the question - if I meet a book club via Skype or Facetime, how can we share food?
So here on my blog, I decided to share a recipe for my favorite German dish, KaeseSpaetzle.
It's homemade noodles cooked with onions and melted cheese, so in a way it's Germany's mac-and-cheese. But much better, trust me. My mother and grandmother made variations of this without measuring a thing, just throwing handfuls of ingredients into a bowl and mixing until it 'feels right.' I haven't got that touch - bummer. 

KaeseSpaetzle Recipe
Ingredients:
3 eggs     1 3/4 c. flour     1/2 t. salt       1T. vegetable oil      1/2 c. water

1/4 c. butter     2 onions, halved and sliced     3 c. shredded Swiss or Emmentaler cheese

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine eggs, flour, salt, oil, and water. Mix until smooth, then let rest for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, melt the butter in a saute pan, and saute the onion until golden brown. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 300 F. Lightly grease a 9" casserole dish.
Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil. Place 1/3 of the dough into a spaetzle maker or a collander with large holes. Let the dough drop into the boiling water, urging it out by pressing with a spoon if needed. Boil until the noodles rise to the top, the transfer them to the casserole dish with a slotted spoon. Cover them with 1 c. of the cheese. Repeat the process with remaining dough and cheese, creating two more layers of spaetzle and cheese. Spoon the sauteed onions over the top.
Bake at 300 for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted. Or instead of baking, you can do what my mother and grandmother did - saute the whole shebang in another 1/4 c. butter, turning frequently until the cheese is melted. Before serving, sprinkle with 1 or 2 T of white vinegar and 1T chopped parsley if desired.

Now if your book club reads Risking Exposure, invite me via Skype or Facetime and we can still share a meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment